At YES, our volunteers are more than just people interested in outdoor recreation. They are role-models who believe in challenging and supporting youth through outdoor sports and experiential education. They want to make a difference. You can make a difference, too! Our pool of more than 250 diverse, committed and passionate volunteers, some as young as 13, coach and instruct over 1,500 Boston youth annually. We use outdoor sports and recreational opportunities to challenge youth and teach them to respect themselves, others, and the environment. We have volunteer opportunities for skiers and snowboarders who can ride at an intermediate level or above. Our outdoor adventure programs has opportunities for those with all skill levels of kayaking, rock climbing and other YES activities. Read below to find out more about the volunteer opportunities that YES has to offer! Applications are accepted from April 15 through June 6th for our Outdoor Adventure summer program and from August 15 through November 22 for our Operation SnowSports winter program. YES Academy applications are accepted on an ongoing basis. Contact the YES Volunteer Director for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Track & Field
Track & Field Coaches: Applications are currently OPEN for Summer 2014 YES Track & Field Coaches. Apply if you would like to coach youth in the YES Track & Field Program at Moakley Park in South Boston this summer!
- Requirements: High energy and willingness to coach and inspire youth in the basic fundamentals of track and field.
- Availability: Mondays and Thursday from 5:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Commitment: Minimum of one night per week during the summer Track & Field Program
If you are interested in coaching Boston youth, download an application here and send it to the YES Volunteer Director at email@example.com
Applications are currently closed for Outdoor Adventure Volunteers! They are accepted each year April 15 through June 6.
YES serves over 600 youth each summer through our Outdoor Adventure program. Youth are inspired and challenged through various activities such as mountain biking, rock climbing, kayaking and rowing. Volunteers are needed to assist in leading groups of 10 – 30 youth.Outdoor Adventure is weekday based and is designed to reflect the needs of the Boston community by offering out-of-school programming. Outdoor Adventure Sessions are 5-day programs beginning Monday, July 8 with the final session beginning Monday, August 19. All programs depart from and return to Youth Enrichment Services Headquarters at 412 Massachusetts Ave in Boston. Day Trips run from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.The program schedule is as follows:
Monday: Kayaking at Charles River Canoe & Kayak (Allston or Newton-Auburndale)
Tuesday: Mountain Biking at Wompatuck State Park or Rock Climbing (Rock Spot Dedham or MetroRock Everett)
Wednesday: Field Day and Departure for overnight to Swann Lodge (Monterey, MA)
Thursday: Hiking and outdoor programming at Swann Lodge
Friday: Outdoor programming at Swann Lodge and return to Boston by 4:00 p.m.
Volunteer Opportunities:YES also offers Outdoor Adventure Programs for Boston-based youth-serving agencies. One-day programs are offered on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and include Rock Climbing, Mountain Biking and Kayaking.
- Instructors: Outdoor Enthusiasts interested in bringing urban youth to the outdoors for adventure activities.
- Requirements: Specific training from YES for activities (Rock Climbing, Kayaking and Biking) is required. Duties include facilitating orientation and activities, reporting to the Activity Captain, instructing and motivating youth in outdoor activities, and overall group management.
- Availability: Weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., or 4:00 p.m. on Wednesdays through 4:00 p.m. on Fridays for overnight programs to Swann Lodge.
- Commitment: Minimum of five total volunteer days with YES during July & August.
Application accepted August 15 through November 22. Operation SnowSports is the largest program at YES where youth are inspired and challenged through skiing and snowboarding – many for the very first time! All Operation SnowSports volunteers participate in the following three commitments:
- Training Clinic: YES Volunteers attend a weekend training clinic in December or January to Sugarloaf, Pico or Pats Peak. Volunteers train with certified mountain ski instructors and learn how to teach a specific skill level. Here you will meet many other YES Volunteers!
- Shop Night: Volunteers work a weekly three-hour shift in the YES Rental Shop. All YES Kids are able to rent equipment directly from YES, and are fitted by volunteers like you. Owning our ski and snowboard equipment is one reason we are able to offer ski trips at discounted prices. The rental shop is open from Tuesday through Thursday from 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. Don’t worry if you don’t have any ski shop experience, we’ll train you! Shop time also gives volunteers an opportunity to meet YES Kids, families, and other volunteers.
- Trips: Volunteers participate in a minimum of three day-trips per season, including one Sunday trip. YES Day trips run on Saturdays and Sundays from December through March, with additional weekday trips during the Boston Public Schools February break. You are able to choose your trips in advance!
Volunteers fulfill many different roles within the program, one of which is right for you!
- Ski and Snowboard Instructors: Snowsports enthusiasts interested in teaching urban youth how to ski or snowboard.
- Requirements: Attend a weekend training in December or January where volunteers of all ability levels learn how to instruct and one day trip per month from December to March with a minimum 2-hour lesson to a group of 1-7 youth.
- Activity Captains: Adults (21+) with a customer service mentality and large group (45-55 people) leadership skills. Duties include bus monitoring, group orientation, supervising the pre and post-trip responsibilities at YES, checking in with ski patrol, distribution of tickets, delegating group lessons to volunteers, and overall group management.
- Requirements: Training is required and provided by YES.
- Emergency Vehicle Drivers: Adult drivers (21+) with spotless driving records.
- Requirements: A qualified adult able to drive a 12-passenger van or an 8-passenger SUVto and from destinations in Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Vermont. Drivers remain on-call for emergencies and are required to act as the YES liaison in medical emergencies.
- Ski Team Instructors: Adult skiers or snowboarders who have racing experience. The YES Ski Team works in partnership with Boston Ski Party and Pat’s Peak. . Instructors meet the team at Pat’s Peak for 10 Sundays starting Jan 4th and ending March 9th.
- Requirements: Prior racing experience is preferred but not required. Volunteers must be able to transport themselves to and from the mountain. Due to the high volume of trips Ski Team Volunteers go on, they are NOT required to fulfill the weekly rental shop commitment.
YES Volunteers enjoy some of the following perks: 5:30 A.M. Arrive at YES and check-in with trip leader. 6:30 A.M. Departure 9:00 A.M. Arrive at mountain. Unload bus and help kids with equipment. 9:45 A.M. Two-hour lesson 11:45 A.M. Lunch 1:00 P.M. Instructors ski or ride with youth ages 12 and under 3:30 P.M. Load bus 4:00 P.M. Depart mountain 6:30 P.M. Return to YES; unload and put away equipment
- Low-cost instructor training clinic
- Free transportation to and from mountain
- Free seasonal equipment rental from YES
- Reasonably priced equipment packages
- Last Run Volunteer Appreciation Weekend
Please note: All Operation SnowSports Volunteers must be able to ski or snowboard at an intermediate level or above,
Applications accepted year-round.
The YES Academy umbrellas four year-round out-of-school programs committed to developing potential leaders through experiential learning, job training, volunteerism and role modeling. Further information is available by contacting Rachael Cina, YES Academy Program Coordinator at 617-267-5877 ext. 10 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Girls Outdoor Adventure Leaders (GOAL) Program Speakers: Women (18+) interested in being guest speakers or presenting workshops to middle school girls. Workshops and activities include self-esteem, healthy relationships, confidence, leadership, identity, nutrition and healthy cooking, yoga, female empowerment and outdoor trips. Volunteers are also needed for the annual Women Leaders Panel in May. GOAL workshops are after school on Fridays from September through June.
Career Exploration Speakers: Adults interested in presenting job training workshops to high school students on topics including job seeking, interview skills, resume writing, professionalism and computer applications. Volunteers may also help students practice their skills in customer service and communication through our skills testing nights. Professionals are needed for Professional Career Day Panels and Forums which will be held monthly. Workshops are held after school on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from October through April.
Job Sponsors: Adults interested in sponsoring a high-school student in a supervised summer job at the workplace for 6 weeks (25 hours per week) from July – August.
College Preparation Speakers: Adults and college students who would like to share their experiences regarding the college selection, application process, and attendance. Volunteers are also needed to help critique essays and scholarship applications.
Junior Volunteer (JRV) Speakers: Adults looking to facilitate youth development workshops to YES’s teen volunteers on subjects such as effective leadership, customer service, green jobs, outdoor skills, Leave No Trace principles and personal fitness.