At YES, our volunteers are more than just people interested in outdoor recreation. They are role-models who believe in challenging and supporting youth through outdoor sports and experiential education. They want to make a difference. You can make a difference, too! Our pool of more than 250 diverse, committed and passionate volunteers, some as young as 13, coach and instruct over 1,500 Boston youth annually. We use outdoor sports and recreational opportunities to challenge youth and teach them to respect themselves, others, and the environment. We have volunteer opportunities for skiers and snowboarders who can ride at an intermediate level or above. Our outdoor adventure programs has opportunities for those with all skill levels of kayaking, rock climbing and other YES activities. Read below to find out more about the volunteer opportunities that YES has to offer! Applications are accepted from April 15 through June 6th for our Outdoor Adventure summer program and from August 15 through November 21 for our Operation SnowSports winter program. YES Academy applications are accepted on an ongoing basis depending on the program. Contact the YES Volunteer Director for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Applications for the 2014-2015 season are available now through November 21st 2014. Operation SnowSports is the largest program at YES where youth are inspired and challenged through skiing and snowboarding – many for the very first time! All Operation SnowSports volunteers participate in the following three commitments:
- Training Clinic: YES Volunteers attend a weekend training cli
nic in December or January to Sugarloaf, Pico or Pats Peak. Volunteers train with certified mountain ski instructors and learn how to teach a specific skill level. Here you will meet many other YES Volunteers!
- Shop Night: Volunteers work a weekly three-hour shift in the YES Rental Shop. All YES Kids are able to rent equipment directly from YES, and are fitted by volunteers like you. Owning our ski and snowboard equipment is one reason we are able to offer ski trips at discounted prices. The rental shop is open from Tuesday through Thursday from 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. Don’t worry if you don’t have any ski shop experience, we’ll train you! Shop time also gives volunteers an opportunity to meet YES Kids, families, and other volunteers.
- Trips: Volunteers participate in a minimum of three day-trips per season (four trips for YETTI instructors), including one Sunday trip. YES Day trips run on Saturdays and Sundays from December through March, with additional weekday trips during the Boston Public Schools February break. You are able to choose your trips in advance!
Volunteers fulfill many different roles within the program, one of which is right for you!
- Youth Excel Through Tailored Instruction: YETTI Ski and Snowboard Instructors: Snow sport enthusiasts who sign up for four trips early in the fall and teach the same group of skiers or snowboarders all winter long!
- Requirements: Commit to a YETTI track which consists of four trip days from January to March with predetermined dates. Attend a weekend training in December or January where volunteers learn how to instruct. Teach a minimum 2-hour lesson to your class of youth on your trip days.
- Ski and Snowboard Instructors: Snowsport enthusiasts interested in teaching urban youth how to ski or snowboard.
- Requirements: Attend a weekend training in December or January where volunteers of all ability levels learn how to instruct and one day trip per month from December to March with a minimum 2-hour lesson to a group of 1-7 youth.
- Activity Captains: Adults (21+) with a customer service mentality and large group (45-55 people) leadership skills. Duties include bus monitoring, group orientation, supervising the pre and post-trip responsibilities at YES, checking in with ski patrol, distribution of tickets, delegating group lessons to volunteers, and overall group management.
- Requirements: Training is required and provided by YES.
- Emergency Vehicle Drivers: Adult drivers (21+) with spotless driving records.
- Requirements: A qualified adult able to drive a 12-passenger van or an 8-passenger SUV to and from destinations in Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Vermont. Drivers remain on-call for emergencies and are required to act as the YES liaison in medical emergencies.
YES Volunteers enjoy some of the following perks: 5:30 A.M. Arrive at YES and check-in with trip leader. 6:30 A.M. Departure 9:00 A.M. Arrive at mountain. Unload bus and help kids with equipment. 9:45 A.M. Two-hour lesson 11:45 A.M. Lunch 1:00 P.M. Instructors ski or ride with youth ages 12 and under 3:30 P.M. Load bus 4:00 P.M. Depart mountain 6:30 P.M. Return to YES; unload and put away equipment
- Low-cost instructor training clinic
- Free transportation to and from mountain
- Free seasonal equipment rental from YES
- Reasonably priced equipment packages
- Last Run Volunteer Appreciation Weekend
Please note: All Operation SnowSports Volunteers must be able to ski or snowboard at an intermediate level or above.
Deadline November 21st 2014. Direct questions and completed application to Laura at Volunteer@yeskids.org. The Operation SnowSports Volunteer Program fills quickly so get your application in today!
Application are now available. Please check individual programs for deadlines.
The YES Academy umbrellas four year-round out-of-school programs committed to developing potential leaders through experiential learning, job training, volunteerism and role modeling. All applicants will be interviewed by they YES Academy Director.
Junior Volunteer (JRV) Intensive
Volunteer commitment and requirements:
- Once a week for six weeks in the fall or spring
- Act as a positive role model for high-risk teens
- Support YES staff and lead small group activities
- Males 21+ to match program participants
- Fall dates 9/11-10/19 Application Deadline: 8/29
Girls Outdoor Adventure Leaders (GOAL)
Volunteer commitment and requirements:
- Females available to meet mid Saturday mornings for 9 weeks starting Oct through Feb or Feb through June
- Lead small group activities and act as a positive role model for teenage girls
- Must be comfortable talking to teens about body image, safe sex and gender specific issues
- Fall dates start: 10/18 Application Deadline: 10/3
Career Exploration Internship Program
Volunteer commitment and requirements:
- Attend youth presentations once every 6 weeks for 5 months
- Communicate with youth over email to advise and guide them on their individual projects
- Coach youth in public speaking and presentation skills
- Fall dates start 10 /14 Application Deadline: 9/29
Job Sponsors: Adults interested in sponsoring a high-school student in a supervised summer job at the workplace for 6 weeks (25 hours per week) from July – August.
College Preparation Speakers: Adults and college students who would like to share their experiences regarding the college selection, application process, and attendance. Volunteers are also needed to help critique essays and scholarship applications.
One Time Volunteer Opportunities: YES Academy also has many one-time volunteer opportunities You can help youth learn to network by mingling with teens during YES networking night, sit on one of our career panels or lead a workshop based on your skill set. Just communicate your strengths and availability during your interview and we’ll find a volunteer experience to match your lifestyle!
Direct questions and completed application to Laura at Volunteer@yeskids.org.
Track & Field
Track & Field Coaches: Applications are currently OPEN for Summer 2014 YES Track & Field Coaches. Apply if you would like to coach youth in the YES Track & Field Program at Moakley Park in South Boston this summer!
- Requirements: High energy and willingness to coach and inspire youth in the basic fundamentals of track and field.
- Availability: Mondays and Thursday from 5:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Commitment: Minimum of one night per week during the summer Track & Field Program
If you are interested in coaching Boston youth, download an application here and send it to the YES Volunteer Director at email@example.com
Applications are currently closed for Outdoor Adventure Volunteers! They are accepted each year April 15 through June 6.
YES serves over 600 youth each summer through our Outdoor Adventure program. Youth are inspired and challenged through various activities such as mountain biking, rock climbing, kayaking and rowing. Volunteers are needed to assist in leading groups of 10 – 30 youth.Outdoor Adventure is weekday based and is designed to reflect the needs of the Boston community by offering out-of-school programming. Outdoor Adventure Sessions are 5-day programs beginning Monday, July 8 with the final session beginning Monday, August 19. All programs depart from and return to Youth Enrichment Services Headquarters at 412 Massachusetts Ave in Boston. Day Trips run from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.The program schedule is as follows:
Monday: Kayaking at Charles River Canoe & Kayak (Allston or Newton-Auburndale)
Tuesday: Mountain Biking at Wompatuck State Park or Rock Climbing (Rock Spot Dedham or MetroRock Everett)
Wednesday: Field Day and Departure for overnight to Swann Lodge (Monterey, MA)
Thursday: Hiking and outdoor programming at Swann Lodge
Friday: Outdoor programming at Swann Lodge and return to Boston by 4:00 p.m.
Volunteer Opportunities:YES also offers Outdoor Adventure Programs for Boston-based youth-serving agencies. One-day programs are offered on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and include Rock Climbing, Mountain Biking and Kayaking.
- Instructors: Outdoor Enthusiasts interested in bringing urban youth to the outdoors for adventure activities.
- Requirements: Specific training from YES for activities (Rock Climbing, Kayaking and Biking) is required. Duties include facilitating orientation and activities, reporting to the Activity Captain, instructing and motivating youth in outdoor activities, and overall group management.
- Availability: Weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., or 4:00 p.m. on Wednesdays through 4:00 p.m. on Fridays for overnight programs to Swann Lodge.
- Commitment: Minimum of five total volunteer days with YES during July & August.
Young Donors Committee
Are you the social butterfly of your group? Do you like to party plan and meet other young professionals?
Join the YES Young Donors Committee to help YES plan and coordinate events to raise money for YES youth. Committee members must be able to make it to monthly meetings and be able to help support Young Donors events.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please contact Christine at firstname.lastname@example.org